Wednesday, September 1, 2010

what they don't rave about...

... is the cafeteria food.  Cafeteria food is never good, never depicted as remotely edible in shows and movies, and often times lacking in color and shape.  I'm drawing a memory of this one scene in Ned's Declassified where a brown blob of mush starts crawling off Ned's plate, and I literally expected something of that nature to happen when I first set foot in my middle school cafeteria.  Luckily it wasn't that bad, but it was still just one step above edible.  Not only that, but it was $4 a day for a plate of thawed out food sold in bulk at Costco, which quickly adds up if you're eating it everyday.  Needless to say, I stayed away from cafeteria food in high school.

Then there's college... where dining hall food is an inevitable part of every. single. day.  While I don't find it completely disgusting, I also don't find it delicious nor worth my $15 (yes, each meal is worth about $15).  Despite the fact that we all have meal plans, people still surreptitiously stash away food into tupperware containers to get their money's worth... which is a good idea, no lie.  I usually take a piece of fruit to go after every meal.

Anyways, all summer, I was thinking of ways I could take some extra food and turn it into something delicious.  Today, Ann said basically the same words, and I got super excited because now I have someone to share that with, and so this blog was born.

Ann's asleep right now, and thus, did not join me in this post because I don't have a class until 2:40 pm. [But she does have one in the workings I see].

Tomorrow will be all about taking pictures of the Marketplace, our designated eatery at Duke, and its contents.  And this weekend, I believe you can expect a method recipe for a yummy cobbler.

By the way, our individual blogs are at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment